Describe the missing feature that would help you make the most of Meetup

Create and Tally "Ask Guests to Bring Something" Function

Evite has this great invite option called "Ask Guests to Bring Something". The party organizer can request 5 entrees, 5 desserts, etc. Evite keeps tracks and tallies what each person brings - so you can see how many more entrees are needed. My group does approx 4 potlucks a month - so this would be really helpful.

243 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    NinaNina shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    DanielDaniel shared a merged idea: Online Driver/Passenger program  ·   · 
    ZoranZoran shared a merged idea: In need of a feature for "Carpooling arrangements"  ·   · 
    SiobhanSiobhan shared a merged idea: Add sign-up list capability for members to bring items to potluck a, picnics, etc without duplicating efforts.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Get rid of introductions and replace with town/state person is from so people can plan carpools easier.  ·   · 
    KarenKaren shared a merged idea: Enable file capability to allow members to sign up for events within an event (carpool, time slot, bring something to an event)  ·   · 
    Shari AlfaroShari Alfaro shared a merged idea: Add a built-in sign-up list feature to allow members to easily sign-up for items needed for a Meetup  ·   · 
    lynnlynn shared a merged idea: Create an automatic "carpool" option after every "yes" RSVP  ·   · 
    Carolyn JohnsonCarolyn Johnson shared a merged idea: Carpool Matching Program  ·   · 
    KalKal shared a merged idea: We need to add ways to organize carpools within the RSVP  ·   · 
    KimberlyKimberly shared a merged idea: Potluck Sign Ups  ·   · 
    bethanybethany shared a merged idea: Create List of needed Items or equipment for the event. i.e. Volley Ball net, Ball, Paper Plates, Charcoal etc.  ·   · 
    JeffJeff shared a merged idea: carpooling  ·   · 
    danenedanene shared a merged idea: What to bring list  ·   · 
    Mike BeattieMike Beattie shared a merged idea: Provide a tool to coordinate a carpool to an event  ·   · 
    Lisa MarieLisa Marie responded  · 

I went ahead and merged the carpool feature requests and ‘potluck’ requests into this one, since these all ask for a similar feature that would help plan for a Meetup (carpooling, getting to a Meetup, who brings what, etc).

92 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure how we deal with the money aspect of car sharing either.
        I gave 3 people a lift last time (and had to wait over half an hour for one of them) and none of them offered towards the cost of the fuel.
        What do most people do?

• Jack MJack M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Last time this was suggested, it was closed with the standard "we have no plans to implement this" response. So once again, a functional feature is taken away and replaced with useless "improvement". But because of "empowerment" these changes don't get rolled back unless all the peasants start revolting.

• KalKal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Matt,

You need get out of your comfortable office in downtown NYC, and go on a hike to a national park. There you will find some parks will not allow private vehicles like Zion, or parking is so limited for a group of 200 hikers that the only way to get everyone there is to carpool.

We were controlling the amount of spam by having people make their carpool requests in their replies, until you made all the replies into spam as well. This is completely the OPPOSITE of listening to your customers.

• James McBryanJames McBryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a fellow meetup organizer and I noticed a huge need for this as well. So a couple of us decided to make our own tool here http://carpool.prepatrip.com/demo

Basically it's mobile friendly and doesn't require sign-ins. And if enough meetup organizers like it, I'll start integrating in email notifications and cell phone reminders.

If you want in on this just email me at james@thetechscouts.com and I'll send it over!

• Candy HarrisCandy Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea! Especially with gas prices climbing. Plus it enhances community building. That's what meetup is all about right?

• Linda CLinda C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good idea; you can currently do this somewhat by posting an RSVP question that asks for the same information.

• Elaine VigneaultElaine Vigneault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jeff, I'm in Vegas too :) We've tried to use other website's carpooling tools (like http://www.erideshare.com/ ) but that doesn't seem to work well. We've even tried carpooling for longer trips where everyone has the same start and end point and even that doesn't work. People seem really resistant to carpooling here in Vegas. But if there were an option right on meetup to help organize carpooling it might work better. Not sure.

• Elaine VigneaultElaine Vigneault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be so easy to add. Seems like a feature a lot of us could use. For example - potluck dishes or volunteer shifts. It would be great! Big Tent already has this incorporated. Don't know why Meetup doesn't have it yet.

• DanielleDanielle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely! We really miss this feature from Evite since we made the switch to Meetup. And that was a free site!

• DanielleDanielle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Evite already does this but we now use Meetup for our group and REALLY miss this function, as we plan a lot of pot luck parties.

• SimaSima commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why exactly won't you be working on this feature, because you've never needed a carpool to the mountains? Join some meet up groups that require carpools to see EXACTLY what a pain in the BUTT organizing carpooling is. The comments are consistent with our group as well that people miss out, because they can't find a ride and people constantly get e-mail spam. When the event is set up there could be a question "Does this event require a car pool?" and have a list of registered drivers. If a registered driver RSVPs for the event ask "Did you want drive?" If yes color code her name so others know she's willing to drive. Then others can contact her or any other drivers directly to see if they can get a ride.

• Meetup's Community TeamAdminMeetup's Community Team (Admin, Meetup.com ) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

meetup needs to implement this. "Not something we’ll be working on" is simply not an appropriate response! This is obviously something there is a strong demand for, a much-needed feature, and would be very simply for meetup to implement.

Greg don't tell me how to use google docs. I have.
        The problem is people don't use it.
        I have posted on the group message board twice for the same meetup a google doc.
        Yet, people still post on the message board their carpool request and then carry on a long conversation on the message board about it.

People for whatever reason don't use it.

yes, I have tried google apps.
        We need a way to collect everyone's info to keep people from spamming everyone.
        For a hiking trip, of 200 people the parks don't have enough parking. if each person sent 5 carpool messages this would be 1000 messages on the message board.

tell us why not. Just because you live in New York and have no car is no reason.
        For hiking trips to parks that have limited parking we need to arrange carpool for close to 200 people.

• KimberlyKimberly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Steve for your last detailed comment on June 24th (18:41)! I am going to encourage members of my meet up group to support this much NEEDED feature as well. Not only is it great for pot lucks but we also coordinate donation kits and it would work perfect for that as well to allow people to sign up for items they are bringing and track items still needed. Your support is very much appreciated!!! Hopefully the programers at Meetup will step up to the challenge.

• Steve AfrinSteve Afrin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this idea from Kimberly is a fantastic new value-added feature to add as an optional feature to Meetup.com for event planning! This feature would allow an event host to optionally create a list of desired potluck items (and quantity of each item) for event guests to bring to the event. As each guest RSVPs for the event, the guest is able to select an item or also possibly multiple items from the potluck list.

Each subsequent guest RSVP sees the potluck list with updated counts to know what still needs to be brought by other guests. This type of management is an added value by the Meetup.com website because it helps the host to avoid having too many guests bringing one specific type of item while another item on the potluck list is ignored or not enough is brought.

Right now, potluck lists need to be manually managed by the event host offline. The event host needs to keep an Excel spreadsheet or some other kind of list and has to use phone calls, e-mail messages, or comment threads on the event to communicate with each guest who RSVPs for the event to manually manage who is signing up to bring how much or which items.

Some key features of such a "potluck management" feature might be:

o The Meetup.com website for an event can track multiple items and quantities of each item (specified by an event host or organizer)
        o The Meetup.com website can keep track of which item(s) (and counts of the items) each guest selects to bring to an event
        o The Meetup.com website can provide a potluck management report exclusively to the event host or organizers so they can see a comprehensive list of guest names and who has agreed to bring which item(s) to the event
        o Picking an item to bring from the potluck list could be an optional requirement to RSVP for an event
        o Guests could use the potluck management feature as a way to suggest an item to the event host or organizer that they would like to bring to an event - perhaps a guest thinks of an item the event host or organizer has not thought of, or the guest has a specialty dish he or she can prepare of which the event host or organizer is unaware the guest has a unique talent for making or unique ability for providing.

For models of how a "potluck management" feature might work on Meetup.com, Meetup project managers and software architects can take a look at some existing models on exiting online invitation websites such as evite.com and punchbowl.com.

As the Organizer of a successful social Meetup group in the northern Idaho and greater Inland Northwest region of the United States, I think this would be a valuable and useful feature for my group's Event Organizers, especially as we head into the warmer summer months and event hosts start scheduling more potluck and picnic type of events.

• Steve AfrinSteve Afrin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the Meetup.com Help Section, Ali provides great advice in her suggestion,
        http://www.meetup.com/help/How-do-I-run-a-successful-potluck-Meetup/. She provides all great ideas in the absence of such an optional "potluck management" feature for planning a Meetup event. Yet Ali's solution is not nearly as complete as the potluck management features offered by online invitation management websites such as evite.com and punchbowl.com.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base