Describe the missing feature that would help you make the most of Meetup

Allow hosts the ability to hide attendees' profile pictures and their names on events.

Only hosts could see the attendees' names and their profile picture, and not people looking at the meetup event (may be this can include members of the group). People browsing the meetup event as well as people who are going to the meetup would only see the number of people attending, not their names nor their photos.

27 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    GeraldGerald shared a merged idea: hide attendees  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: For organisers who run singles groups, there should be an option where you can hide profile pictures/names and just have the rsvp count  ·   · 
    AdamAdam shared a merged idea: For privacy reasons eliminate the names of who is coming to the meetups.  ·   · 
    DonDon shared a merged idea: Picture privacy  ·   · 

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LarryLarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't like this idea. As a member of the group, (and I think that point needs to be made... They should be a member), I would like to see the people that are attending an event.

For many reasons this is important. Maybe you aren't interested in a single gender event, maybe you are looking for someone to date and would like to see your options, maybe you are interested in the age range... Might seem shallow, but many of my members are looking for relationships and activities to meet those relationships in...

• Andrew GAndrew G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

??? This is absurd. The whole point of Meetup events is to get together with other members. If you're attending, or running, an event you're uncomfortable making public, then look to make the group private.

For members of groups I participate in and run, knowing who is attending has a significant influence on attendance.

• emem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suggest Meetup have an opt-out in Privacy settings from search engines, like FB do. This way my name & groups can still be shown to meetup members.. seems really odd to willing join a site and make friends, then have to hide everything away from them on the site... because Meetup allow google & search engines to bring up all your pictures and posts. If this is the case then why does meetup request you have a password.. when all can see!!!

• sunshinesunshine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like to see the types of people signing up for an event, but I think allowing members to choose to display as an anonymous attendee (but be shown to the event leader) would be great, especially for those who have had problems with being stalked by other Meetup members.

We may want to feel like a community of friends, but let's be honest, especially in groups with thousands of people, not everyone in the group (so just making the group private doesn't always help) or everyone on the web is (or ever will be) your friend. Wanting to meetup and do things in person shouldn't have to mean advertising your whereabouts in advance when you have no control over who can see that information. You can meet people without them having to see your name, photo, and profile beforehand.

• gilliangillian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a great idea to hide the names and photos on future events from NON-MEMBERS only. That is one way to help prevent crashers from finding us at public events withuot having to make the group completely private and discourage new members from joining. There's another idea posted on here about this with more details. One of my groups is a semi-private woman's group (acceptance only) and we had some creepy guy find us at an event where the location was easily figured out from the nature of the event and bother our members. If we could hide our names and photos from non-members on upcoming events we would accomplish our goal of safety for our members while still not having to be a completely private group. It would be a great middle ground not currently available.

• StephSteph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a horrible idea. Sorry. The point of Meetup is to meet people. One of the best things about it is the photos and names of people, so you can find them and meet them at events. I like the alternative suggestions listed here, Adam, if you really need the privacy.

• myxlplyxmyxlplyx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just put the RSVP count as "1" (you) and have members email you personally if they plan on attending your event.

Feedback and Knowledge Base