Describe the missing feature that would help you make the most of Meetup

Pls get rid of the "glad to see you" remark after a meetup...it is annoying and absurd

Pls get rid of the "glad to see you" remark after a meetup...it is annoying and absurd

466 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: PLEASE, PLEASE get rid of the "Good to see you" comment after an event. Let  ·   · 

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • richard harroldrichard harrold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is time consuming not only on the meetup group site by also scrubbing through all the "glad to see you" emails in your system. It is suppose to encourage a conversation but all it does is say "Hey, I saw you there", and nothing more. Useless and time waisting feature.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe thus feature can be toggles on/off in user's settings, "post event greetings for Meetups I went to". Problem solved.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the Meetup leadership loves this feature for some reason (is there money in it?) and has already rejected a similar proposal, allow the Organizer to disable it. Organizers who like it can then keep the feature, and organizers who don't like it can disable it.

• LisLis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm the organizer of the meetup group, and we run a monthly social. So every month, I get a lot of "glad to see you" emails. So, if people don't send me one, they weren't glad to see me? If I don't respond, is it very rude? I basically never respond, I choose to ignore this. It's silly. If I'm glad to see someone, I'll tell them WHEN I SEE THEM. In real life. Isn't that the point of meetup? Digital allowing real life experiences?

Personally, I like this feature. My group is a motorcycle riding group and it has come to be used as a method of everyone from the ride checking in to verify safe arrival back home after the ride. We use it routinely and consistently after every ride.

• BobBob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding this to the meet up event was a ridiculous idea. We already see and speak to those we meet at the event. Also, we can email a person that we want to express more with.

I do not like it. Some of the glad to see you people were not there to see each other. I think it is rather silly.

• Alan NAlan N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree completely. As the Organizer, most member attendees send me a "Glad to see you", so I feel obligated to return the favor. This is a superficial waste of time. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE remove that feature, or make it a group OPTION that the Organizer can turn off.

Although I like the concept of "Good to See You" as a quick way to let attendees know they were welcome and appreciated, I think it is inappropriate and silly in some situations. As an organizer, I would like the option to disable it and the option of adding a personalized note.

• StacyStacy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like it. Several members of my group and other groups I'm in use it as well. It helps people feel included and welcome. If someone doesn't like receiving those emails then it is very easy to block them.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this feature because as an organizer, it allows me to keep the momentum going with my members post-event. It's also a good starting point for members to keep in touch after meeting at events.

If anything, how about a compromise of allowing organizers to toggle this feature on or off in their respective groups?

• NazNaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use the 'glad to see you' button at our hiking club, no-one seems to be of the opinion that it's annoying. We have large numbers of new members attending and it helps to follow up on conversations we've had with members on a strenuous hike. Clicking on the button (or any button for that matter) isn't compulsory!

• StephenStephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Who thought this up? Absolutely ridiculous (and very annoying to 95% of my members who dont want to be stalked by the other 5%)

• Gary WolanskeGary Wolanske commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Folks in my group have called this the "creepy button" ... no reason to use this when emailing exists.

• Dennis FDennis F commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Get rid of this confusing and useless feature. It just generates more unwanted email.

• Davis FieldsDavis Fields commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of my Meetup work is about support groups for people going through some absolutely devastating life circumstances - family breakups, divorce, and worse. In these environments these "Glad to see you" messages are completely inappropriate. The word I hear most often about them is "creepy." I spend a lot of time apologizing on Meetup's behalf for these things. PLEASE give your Organizers the ability to disable them on a per-group basis. Please.

• CarolCarol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! It's totally disgusting! Treating us like a bunch of 2nd graders if that! While you're at it...also get rid of all those "other" events going on in my area (that's to the left of the page). Every time I try to enter something I accidently hit one of those and in many cases, ahs caused my whole announcement to be either messed up or "lost"....and I have to start over. If I wanted to attend anything different, I would do a search and seek it out. I don't have to have a bunch of "stuff" I have no intention of attending being flung in my face on a site I'm paying for.

• CarolCarol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is about the silliest comment I can think of! To say it's annoying is an understatement of how I feel...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base