Describe the missing feature that would help you make the most of Meetup

Add feature where the Organizer (not Meetup) can mark a person as unpaid; unpaid members cannot RSVP or see event details.

As an Organizer I collect dues from my members to keep the group going. About half pay, and half don't, so every month I have to go through and kick folks out the group, which can be very unpleasant (but it's not fair that some pay and carry the group while others aren't pitching in).

My suggestion is to have some sort of feature where a member can be marked as "paid" or "unpaid" by the meetup system, and those marked as "unpaid" are not able to RSVP to meetups or see location details. They're still within the group, they just can't fully engage until they get their dues in. This would help organizers not have to keep track of every single person who hasn't paid and keep removing people. With this new system, once a member gets tired of not being able to join in the meetups, they're either leave the group or pay their dues....it would essentially make members self-regulate.

109 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    T.T. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another organizer with the same problem here. Friendly reminders to pay dues are either not read or ignored. My suggestion is an option to BAN non paying members without having to remove them altogether. Banning would automatically prohibit them from seeing calendar. Once they pay, organizer can then remove ban.

• GaryGGaryG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1) Make it mandatory to pay the required annual membership fee upon sign up.

2) Block non-renewing members from seeing new events.

3) Add auto reminders.

• RosemaryRosemary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very discouraged at this recent trend to pay fees for meetups in advance of attending. I am currently unemployed and I budget my outings carefully. Most of my meetups are restaurant dinners. Adding a "meetup fee" cuts into what I can spend at the restaurant. I am not comfortable using online payments that are going to individuals directly. Is the money really going to "fees to maintain the meetup site", or is it going to subsidize the organizer's dinner? I thought meetups weren't supposed to be about making money.

• Jen LJen L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! I spend enough time trying to schedule events, etc. that spending time removing those who have not paid is just another item on the list. I don't want to have to chase people down and charging per event is not really my thing.

• Brendon Brendon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with this suggestion and would also like to add to it... I run a very successfull meetup group with 75 plus members, at one time I was at over 150.00, but kicked several out for non paymment. I run a group that has an annual membership and I require for members to pay when they sign up, but as the person said above, some pay and some don't. This is a real pain in the ass. Also when annual memberships are due, I have to go through manually and notify everyone. The reason we use meetup and not FB it because I only want my members to have access to events and details, and if you join up but don't pay it's an issue and something that requires a me to monitor it daily. If you could make it mandatory to pay the required fees upon sign up, or block the non paying members from seeing new events, and also add auto reminders. An email once they sign up, thanking for payment, or to advise a payment is needed, plus an auto email to where every member is notified when there dues are due. Or hell, make you own paypal app/interface, An organizer can create an accoutn within Meetup and anytime a due is paid, you can get a small percentage... this could pay for the development of this software and create a long term revenue for your company... I would just rise the prices slightly, but the cost would definitely be worth it!!! Come on Meetup lets make this business boom!

• HH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is already added. There are no "dues", only a fee to be paid for each event. Of all the groups I am a member of, only one organizer does this. This information should be private, for the organizer's use only. I am not interested in seeing who didn't show up or who didn't pay their $10.00 to attend an event. Sometimes, for whatever reason, it is impossible to cancel. I do not want to belong to a social group that embarrasses its members.

• T.T. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I said marked by "the meetup system" in my description, but I really mean marked by the Organizer, since meetup technically mark folks as "paid" no matter when they made the payment (so dues paid 3 years ago would mark someone as "paid"...can't have that).

Feedback and Knowledge Base