Describe the missing feature that would help you make the most of Meetup

Drop Late Cancels Into 'No Show' Status Automatically

I saw a lot of topics about allowing for summary reports for late cancels. But those would only be available to head organizers who run the meetup. The feature I'm proposing would be automatic and instant.
I think there could be a time frame set (e.g. 2 hours before a meetup), and if someone cancels within that time frame, they are automatically bounced to No Show. Then when the event host/organizer reviews the event later, they will know who cancelled last minute. After they've dealt with those names, they can start marking their actual No Shows (i.e. who were still Attending but failed to show up).
This would reduce the time and energy organizers would need to cross reference different lists to figure out who cancelled last minute and who No Show'd. If members know it's an automated process, it may change their behaviour.

252 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PDPD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    rickrick shared a merged idea: Have a per event or group wide policy requiring cancellations be at least x hours or days before the event is held.  ·   · 
    Madeleine CraigMadeleine Craig shared a merged idea: When attendees change their RSVP from yes to no, it would be helpful to be able to see the exact time they backed out of a meetup.  ·   · 

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DiDi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a "3 no shows" and your out policy. 24 hours notice is required or the member is listed as a "no show".

A lot of time and effort goes into making restaurant bookings or waiting for everyone to turn up. 1 no show is understandable, 2 no shows are forgivable, 3 no shows and the person is indifferent to the effort that goes into organising meetups. This policy works well in conjunction with "you must attend 3 meetups in 3 months or you will be removed from the group". Sounds harsh but our small group (under 80 members) is vibrant, exciting, and fun. It certainly weeds out the ones who are in many groups and are users of the meetup concept.

I think this works for my group because we are about making friends not acquaintances.After every meetup, I edit attendance. It is extra work but worthwhile. :)

• PDPD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Elissa, it would be up to the individual organizer how they would enforce those late cancel rules. My request is to give tools to organizers who are dealing with late or last minute cancels on a regular basis, especially those who chronically abuse it. For my part, I don't penalize people who have last minute emergencies and cancel and NOTIFY me. If you pull your name off an event last minute, and don't say anything, then i'm sorry, that's not good manners and people should be marked No Show for that behaviour.

• Elissa GerzogElissa Gerzog commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't agree. At least a person was polite enough to cancel. Emergencies happen. Last night I had to cancel from a meetup for very strong reasons. There were 7 others who did the same thing! At least we said we can't make it.

• timtim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the absence of this worthwhile feature, you can effect the same thing manually, after the fact. Simply go to Edit Attendance and change the status of the late-cancel to a no-show.

For events where attendance matters to me, which is most of them, I advise members that canceling after a specific time will be considered a no-show, and then I employ the above.

• Gail T.Gail T. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I give this one 3 votes! We have a written "No-Show Policy" which establishes times after which a member is considered a no-show (whether she has changed her RSVP or not). Organizers should be able to set this deadline for each event. We should still be able to adjust attendance manually; for example, when a no-show contacts us after the event to say that they had a real emergency. In that case, we'd want to change her to "not attended" rather than "no-show".

Hi, I already started a poll for this. Basically I would like Meetup to allow the organizer to automate the last time you can cancel out of an event. Anyone who cancels after that time would be dropped into the No Show list automatically. The organizer will be able to see them when they get home. It'll be up to them how they manage the No Shows after that (i.e. add on the people who were still listed as Attending but didn't show up).

http://meetup.uservoice.com/forums/37079-ideas-and-suggestions-for-meetup/suggestions/3806931-drop-late-cancels-into-no-show-status-automatica

I still believe that Late Cancels can be as bad as No Shows. Essentially, if you're planning for an event where someone can take their name off an hour or less before the event without consequences, you risk being the only person who commits. If you have no easy way of tracking these last minute cancels (not everyone can be at their computer an hour or so before an event), they get away with it. Lots of people are non-committed who just sign up but back out at the last minute. It's just as bad as someone who is listed as attending but they don't show up. Why hold an event if you're the only one who's going to be there? If there's a buffer of 2 hours or 2 days (for events that are overnight or require carpooling) for late cancels, that will make people commit and respect the organizers efforts.

• TanyaTanya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this should be an option for individual meetup events, not an across the board feature. Not all meetup groups or meetup events within a group are impacted the same way by No Shows.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with CG. The late cancellations don't bother me nearly as much as the true "no shows". At least if someone has the courtesy to cancel their RSVP at the last minute, i know they're not coming and we don't have to wait for them before starting our event.

• GriffGriff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Love the idea.... Orgs and AO's should be able to define how late is late, but this would be a smart add....

• SelaSela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i would like to have the option to sort people by the number of no show. so i can find people who didn't show several time. usually when i mark someone as no show i check if they have done it in the past.

• SusanSusan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree that late-canceling members are only slightly better than those who just don't show up at all. We have some serial "late cancellation members" who would otherwise be removed from the group, but they think that it's better than a no-show. It would be great to be able to track those who cancel in the last 2 hours, or have a setting where you can choose the timeframe for that. We've been struggling with no-shows in our group for a long time and I'm finally going to post new rules. It's not fair to other members, and those on the wait list to take a spot and then cancel an hour before. Yes, things come up. Yes, life is busy. But we take you at your word when you rsvp 'yes.'

• CGCG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My only problem with this is that you are punishing people who will even at the last minute RSVP can't make it. You are not punishing the people who actually do not bother to change their RSVP which I think is worse.

• Ed WhiteEd White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that late cancellations are a serious problem, and some members are serial late-cancelers. Instead of marking them as no-shows, however, I suggest that Meetup simply add data for the Organizers showing number of last-minute cancellations. Right now, Organizers can go to a member's profile and see # of RSVPs and # of No Shows--I suggest additional data should be added for # last minute cancellations (e.g. within 24 hours and within 2 hours of the event). Personally, while I don't like last minute-cancellations, I'm less offended by them than by those that don't change their RSVP at all and are no-shows, so I'd like to be able to make the distinction.

• HH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm about to quit a group where the organizer not only posts "no shows" and how many "no shows" but also marks people who owe money. This information is visible to everyone in the group, not just organizers. If the goal of the organizer is to embarrass her members, then she doesn't deserve to have members.

• LyndaLynda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea... since many restaurants, clubs and facilities require deposits based on "live bodies anticipated." If you reserve the space for 50 "live bodies" but only 35 show up, then you're having to send someone around the figure out who exactly it was that stiffed you for the space reservations. I tried as much as possible to book our events in places where we don't have to pay (so all is required or asked is that attendees dine and/or drink there), thereby cutting costs to our group as a whole... the burden of attendance falls more directly on the attendees, rather than on the group or more specifically, the organizers!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base