Describe the missing feature that would help you make the most of Meetup

let users 'Pay with Bitcoin' and other donation methods

In addition to the new 'Pay with PayPal' donation option that meetup gives to users, give users a choice to donate using other methods.

One desirable option would be to pay using bitcoins. Meetup could use many of the free software packages out there to build their own bitcoin checkout, or a bitcoin payment service like bitpay.com could be integrated similar to how paypal is currently being used. Other examples would be donating using Google checkout or credit cards.

414 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steven WagnerSteven Wagner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see this. I would use meetup.com much more if I could pay using bitcoins.

• DominiqueDominique commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This doesn't make sense to me. Polling my group user base I don't have a single member who uses bitcoin.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be amazing if you could offer to pay through bitcoins. I would definitely start making more meetups/ going to more!

• Bryan GibbonsBryan Gibbons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Donation, this should be a main button under "about us" tab. if we can charge members for designated events, how hard would it be to set up a "donation" page so members can contribute to the overall cost of maintaining the web page, and or toward the efforts of the host for managing same.

The page could have options for showing a goal amount and funds collected. Or show or keep privet a general donation account. On the latter I would also suggest that funds collected go first toward the cost of the web page, (with no collection fee) and then any funds above that would be then payable to the administrator minus a reasonable accounting fee (%) to meetup.com

• Gary RoweGary Rowe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Integration with existing payment systems is pretty straightforward so there is unlikely to be a huge technical challenge to implementing this.

• StephenStephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And there are a dozen or more meetup groups that list on meetup.com, so there's nearly guaranteed revenue from this right off the bat.

Feedback and Knowledge Base