Describe the missing feature that would help you make the most of Meetup

Kill the "Good to see you" button

There is already too much email auto-generated by Meetup. This will encourage some users to start spamming everyone they see. If 50 people go to a Meetup, we could be adding 2,450 (50*49) number of "Good to See You" emails. Seriously, this is a bad "improvement".

418 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John B.John B. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    abundanceabundance shared a merged idea: Dump the Nice to Meet You message, or make it option we can opt into if desired. It is irritating and superficial.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Stay in TOuch notices BAD IDEA  ·   · 
    declined  ·  caitlincaitlin responded  · 

We don’t have plans to remove this feature.

90 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree. It is a pretty superficial way to recognize each other e.g fake socializing.

• Chris JacksonChris Jackson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The amount of meetup email is staggering for organizers. The option to turn email off for the group is not a realistic option for organizers. This is a good idea that should be explored or discussed at better email management.

• SteinStein commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems Meetup HQ is more concerned what seems like a good idea to themselves as opposed to what users actually want. It is clear from the votes that few, if anyone of the users want this feature.

• ChristianChristian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that the MeetupHQ response was not helpful whatsoever. Perhaps a more tactful answer and some background on why Meetup HQ thinks this is the awesomest feature ever would have allowed people to feel their voices were at least "slightly" considered vs "not at all" which the curt reply suggests. I for one don't appreciate the feature and I've felt "obliged" to GTSY TOO people who've sent it to me.. Frankly, it's a very contrived feature. Better would be a reminder by Meetup "Did you enjoy the event? Did you enjoy meeting someone? Why not post a greeting on their profile?" or something like that.. And my final point is that if Meetup thinks this is such an important feature to promote members collegiality, how about bringing back the FRIENDS feature which allowed us to bookmark people we enjoyed meeting.. Now I may recall someone I haven't talked to in 2 years "by accident" vs reviewing my friends list and thinking, darn, what happened to so and so, let me check on them.. Instead we have the robotic "GOOD TO SEE YOU"..

•  Beth Tucker Long Beth Tucker Long commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an organizer of a meetup and active participant in helping several others, I depend on Meetup.com to help our groups succeed. This feature is going to kill our ability to use Meetup.com. This feature is going to cause group members to disable e-mail or to filter Meetup e-mails directly into spam or trash. This will kill our ability to communicate with our members, which is a critical part of our group. I strongly encourage you to reconsider disabling or severely limiting this feature.

• John CongdonJohn Congdon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought the point of uservoice was to hear the voice of the people using your service. The fact that this one item is in the top 7 of votes (even though people can't vote now) should show the voice of the users.

The point of uservoice is that you don't have plans at this moment, but you are supposed to consider the suggestion and put it into the plans. Your short response is almost insulting to the community that helped build meetup.com.

Yes, it's an awful feature, and poorly implemented. I'm just going to start Ad-Blocking the button. I do that with the facebook and tweet buttons already.

• John B.John B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Caitlin, Good to see you!

/418 votes deserve more than a nine word kiss-off.

• SchultzeeSchultzee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Caitlin, I'm really curious to hear why Meetup thinks that this Feature is a good thing. Users already have the ability to send other members e-mails if they choose to. Why make it so easy for people to send such useless spam. Hell, I just saw them at the damn event. I don;t need a "Good to see you" e-mail. It really ticks me off that I do not have an option to turn this feature off for my group. But even if I can't do it for the group, shouldn't I at least be able to turn it off for myself? I'm able to control other e-mails, why not these? In another post, I saw that there is a team that will supposedly be evaluating and improving all of Meetup's notifications over the next year. If they're resistant to removing this "feature," I'm certain we're in for very little improvement. Truly a disappointment, especially with zero explanation as to the rationale.

• ShirleyShirley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As usual, our opinion as members ignored. As is often said, "Common sense isn't so common." Meetup HQ - who are failures are organizing any of their own Meetups - are experts in organizing OUR groups. Actually, the only thing that matters to HQ is the number of "clicks", so aggravating the membership is productive in that they (we) click on different features, looking for a way to complain or remove a dumb idea they thought us and are implementing, no matter if every last member of Meetup gave it a thumbs down. Get used to it.

• Steven ChristensonSteven Christenson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely consistent with Meetup Behavior. We'll give you what you want and you'll like it. Shut up and go away.

Perhaps a response like "we created a way to turn off this feature" http://www.meetup.com/help/Good-to-see-you/

Would have been so much more tactful (and, ahem, helpful).

My plan, and I hope everyone will join me, is to create a forwarding rule to send any "Good to See you" spam that still makes it through to "support@meetup.com".

The problem with the "Good to see you" is it is generated after each meet up and looks like it was sent by everyone who RSVPed, even if they don't go. It makes me feel awkward because it looks like I generated it when I didn't. I would like to have the option of not using this feature. There should be a better way.

Curious as to why there is no real justification from meetup just a we don't plan to remove. I suspect the votes to remove strongly outweighed the votes to keep but we will never know. Thank you for giving me my vote back but I probably will note bother voting again since it doesn't seem to matter.

If I receive a 'GYSY' I just delete it. I never issue one, and I hate seeing the big red boxes on the event afterwards. Just an eye sore, very annoying, and more email from meet-up. Many members turn off all email from meet-up, which is counter productive as they don't receive announcements of new events or updates for events they've signed up for. Next move by Meet-up.com is to continue with profiles in your RSVP. They just aren't listening.

• Cal EvansCal Evans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At this point you have to wonder what the agenda is for this feature. it's obviously not a feature that people want. So if the user's don't want it, why would meetup.com insist on it being kept. What does this feature give them that they aren't willing to discuss?

It's a bad feature for all the reasons that have been posted here and elsewhere. It does not promote conversations or engagement, it does annoy users. Does the sending - and receiving - these emails help their delivery rate? I can't imagine it's that because I look forward to most meetup.com emails but these make me want to mark them as spam. Is it a way to constantly validate email addresses? If so, there are much less annoying ways to do that. Or is it just a matter of someone high-up thought up the feature and so it has to be included so as not to bruise their fragile ego?

So I ask you meetup.com, in the face of all this negativity, WHY insist on this feature being included?

=C=

• Rafael DohmsRafael Dohms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@caitlin how bout we meet in the middle? Make this a feature we can turn on/off per group that way everyone is happy.

I organize 3 meetups all with hundreds of members that are increase less "glad" to see me or all the junk email generated by such a faceless, useless, feature. I'm lossing members because of the annoying "Good to see you" button. Please make it stop. Obviously, I don't use it, but newbies do and I feel compelled to good to see them back or be the mean heartless organizer. It really is the only lame thing about such a great sight.

Meetup has been great for what our group does but the "Good to see you" emails are detested. If we have to send emails out after an event, why not make them something useful like "Hope to see you at our next event! followed by a few details.

• Tom CappyTom Cappy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Just take it out. What are we Match.com?? Members should be made aware that that kind of sentiment should be sent at the "send an email" on the prospective member's profile page.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base