Describe the missing feature that would help you make the most of Meetup

Allow organizers to decline a request to join the group WITHOUT letting the person know.

There are some genuine nutcases out there that I don't want joining the group. Frankly, I am afraid that they will become angry by declining their membership, so I just never respond one way or the other.

This is more a bookeeping issue, since not responding to their request does the same thing as not letting the person know that they have not been accepted.

35 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bruce R.Bruce R. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • WSBWSB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you block them they can no longer see the group, if you ignore they can request to join again.

I have several for sale groups and we are pretty picky about members living in the area, if they don't they are blocked/banned.

• billbill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you ignore the request and just ban them, won't that remove them from you invite list and move them to the banned list? Before you ask, the banned list is not visible to anyone accept the leadership team.

• Smoked USmoked U commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have two such pending members on my list right now. Individuals try to join our motorcycle group that don't even have bikes, posting pictures of a provocative nature, looking for some kind of "meat market" hook up.

I don't care to invite a response from these yo-yos.

Please upgrade the platform with an option to just cut them without notice so we can clean up our new members page.

• LaurieLaurie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a past member who requested to re-join our group in July 2011. Because of problems in the past with this member I did not accept their request to join and the request remains out there in a pending status.
        Here we are 16 months later and I would like to remove the request, however I do not want to alert this person to not wanting her as part of the group. She has not approached me at other events asking anything about her request, thus I think the issue has defused itself. If I decline her now and she gets a message of my action it could reignite a real problem.
        I would like to see if you do not approve the person for a period of 3 month or 6 months that the organizer has the ability to do a "passive decline" that does not alert the person.
        I realize I can decline the request and also block the person and that would be fine if she lived 1,000 miles away, but I do see this person as I said at other social gatherings not related to our Meetup Group.
        Thank you for your concideration.

• CandaceCandace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree. The person will find out anyway otherwise - the group's number count goes up, for instance, when the organizer approves others. This isn't facebook and I don't want to see meetup turn that way. You could decline and ban them if they are truly crazy and also block them from contacting you.

• LindaLinda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ignore button would be perfect. Remove the request and no response to the person that was declined.

Feedback and Knowledge Base