Describe the missing feature that would help you make the most of Meetup

Allow More Choice on Highlighted Photos, Please!!

We want to upload more pictures than we highlight on the front page's three.
MORE Options for organizers, leadership team and event hosts, please, on how and which member photos it selects. (Meetup chooses for us.) Or a better algorithm! Thank you!!

We'd like to highlight group members (events, and a few scene background pix) but Meetup chooses for us. Please allow us to UNCHECK (don't rotate through) some pix, by picture. Thank you!!

Please Add Per Photo "Highlight" Option into New Meetup Interface!

Larger pictures and photos in the New Meetup are wonderful. Thank you!! Please also allow us an option to pin pix into 1 of the 3 locations, too.

Also, we'd like Seasonal Adjustment, 2 of the 3 for Recent Events past month, (not recent picture uploads, e.g. from last winter,) which it does but the algorithm gets confused.

As Enhancement, we'd like to choose into which of the three frames these uploaded photos would go. Organizers should be able to choose!!

(Also, some old photos are rotated and until the member fixes this in iPhoto etc, we could un-highlight those in the rotation..)

To start, please let us DE-Select pix thru which to rotate, please. Thank you!!

97 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JessicaJessica shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Stroller Strides, MiltonStroller Strides, Milton shared a merged idea: Add a feature that would allow the organizer to choose which pictures show on the right hand column.  ·   · 

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PaulaPaula commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should have the choice over how we want our group to be portrayed in the feeds.

• Elaine VigneaultElaine Vigneault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great - to be able to set "highlight" or "private" for each photo so that some photos come up easily and are shared with everyone but other photos (of kids, for example) are not shown.

• TammyTammy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new system is poorly thought out and tramples on Organizers power over how their group looks, and how it is represented.

It is the Paying Organizer's right to use a photo to advertise/represent their group.

I have a brand new group. I was willing to make it public, whereas in the past I have only had a private group. However, when I noticed my group was being represented in the "Find a meetup group" page by a Movie Image of a movie we recently saw, I decided that this was NOT the optimal way to encourage people to visit my group.

The meetup master site is pulling images/photos from the Group Album. This is also where we have to store buttons used for our front page. That is what the setting is. So why would it make sense to use a button describing ONE page of my site, to advertise my entire group?

One of my buttons says "Book Club." My group is not a book club, but we have a book club as a sub group. The event description images also show things that are just ONE SMALL PART of what my group does. A movie poster, a cup of coffee, a book cover.

However I run a women's social group and I REQUIRE my group to be represented by the image I have chosen that represents women being social. Not a book. Not a movie. Not a coffee cup. Not a button. Guess what, I made my group private so the Find page will pull my group photo, not a random, inappropriate, mis-representative image.

You need to fix this and give Organizers the ability to select the photo that best represents their group for publicity.

I hope you will realize, that, even if you thought that it was a good idea initially, after field testing by Organizers, it is not working.

• GG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. When I search for groups under certain topics, sometimes I see meetup chooses a random photo from the album instead of my official photo as well. Once it was a tree trunk from a hike. My group is about science and skepticism and this photo of a brown tree trunk out of context will do little to entice new members with no explanation that it was from a nature hike and that is only one of many, many different things we do. Another example when it comes to to those rotating ones on the main group page, I can immediately think of one old photo that would make little sense- a claw machine at a restaurant we went to had for some reason some furry handcuffs as a prize in with all the plush toys. Took a picture and shared it in the photo album with an explanation of course. But our group is not one that normally involves "Love Cuffs"!

• jitterbugjitterbug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, be able to uncheck photos you don't want shown on homepage photo highlights. Some of mine that are currently showing are of guests and not members, of feet (was funny to the few that were at that event, but look horrible on my homepage), too many of the organizers (we are at every event, and our photos are ALWAYS on the homepage...wish it wasn't so much) etc. THIS IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA!

YES! I think all photos should be "checked" by default and then organizers go in and uncheck those they do not want to appear in their homepage photo rotation. In some of my events (festivals, community walks, etc) there are photos being hightlighted of people who are not even in my group -- they were people wearing something cute or doing something neat the member wanted a photo of to share with the group. I don't want a non-member's photo highlighted on my homepage.

• philphil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, members post pics and some of the members don't necessarily want their image flashed across the page, I also don't want to delete the images. as i like that we have albums for the group as we are the largest gay single Men's group in North america.

• MariaMaria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would agree: Organizers & possibly ass't organizers should be the only folks that can post pix. I have been known to receive an email requesting that for any number of reasons, a person does not want their pix posted. I, as an organizer, would like to have the only ability to remove pix.......thus it is less complicated & when I receive such an email, I can actually do something. As of now, because anyone can post a pic, I do not have the option on for pics. It is just a matter of common courtesy, not to post certain pix.....and not everyone agrees what should be open to public view & what should not.

Love this suggestion for more photo control as well as the mention to make sure they are random and not all from the same event. Most of the time at least 2 if not all 3 showing up are from the same event.

• samanthasamantha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please!! I hate the random photos that come up!! I'd rather choose from one of my own albums, and upload a new photo daily along with the my daily message to the group!! PLEASE

• samanthasamantha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please please make this change....some of the random photos are not what I want my members to see. Cant organizers decide which photos to choose??

• KristerKrister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, my ongoing 'compliments to the chef' - amazing site. (Tegan or others in NYC, are you reading?) I agree with this suggestion and have emailed a similar suggestion in the past, when meetup was debuting the new site format. (1) Not all pictures posted for an event function well out of context, so organizers should be able to choose (or bar ["opt-out"]) pictures to be used (or not use) for the for the right-hand column. (2) Another less vital suggestion: I've noticed that these three pictures are not totally random, in the sense that 2 out of 3 are likely to be from the same event, even if the event is older. I don't know the algorithms used, but I would suggest more heavily weighting pics from most-recent events (I suspect that this is already done) and beyond that, choose randomly from amongst older pics based on time / number of events -- not too old, but for our group, say, half a year old is OK once in a while but probably no older than that. [Just pondering, part of the purpose of pictures is to enjoy and celebrate especially with attendees and maybe those who wished that they could have made it. Another purpose is to foster future attendance, so the pictures should showcase that appeal?] Thanks again.

• Zorka KovacevichZorka Kovacevich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stroller Strides: I totally agree. This is would be a great opportunity for Organizers to be be able to more fully connect with their members and visitors. Visuals are so important for communicating a meetup group's essence.

• BLLBLL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. The photos that rare randomly displayed makes no sense. I usually want the most current ones displayed.

• Toni Armstrong Jr.Toni Armstrong Jr. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let us go through our albums and manually check which ones we want in the rotation. That way we deselect unflattering pix and highlight the best, fun-looking ones. Failing that, I'd go for most recent 20 (instead of 10) meetups.

• CarmelKCarmelK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with the need to un-check some of the pictures that my members upload, but I don't have the heart to delete, to avoid them getting into the What's New feed. However beautiful the pictures are of swans and flowers taken at our outings, they just don't make for good What's New feed.
        Love the feature itself though.

Karin

• JessicaJessica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Meetup: Also, some albums have wat more photos than others, but were less well attended. Your algorithm fails to take this into account; headcount is at least as important -if not more- and please give us more control.
        Thank you!!
        @Toni and Dorothy: Agreed!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base