Describe the missing feature that would help you make the most of Meetup

Bring back the "Maybe" Option for Event RSVPs

As an organizer, my members sometimes cannot fully commit to events ahead of time - thus for events I organize, I generally allow "Maybe" RSVPs. For specific events where I need a firm commitment, I do not select the "Maybe" option. This allows me more flexibility with my members RSVPs so I can get a better determination of member commitment to an event. With this feature removed, all of my members are forced to commit yes or no to event, forcing them into a black or white determination of their desire to attend. This doesn't work with some members - they will flake out regardless of what they RSVP, but atleast if they choose "Maybe" I can plan for that flakeyness ahead of time. Please bring back this option, and give organizers better tools to determine event commitment.

682 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    kevinkevin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Phyllida SumnerPhyllida Sumner shared a merged idea: Give members the ability to create a 'maybe' list  ·   · 
    Jessica Langmeyer SpechtJessica Langmeyer Specht shared a merged idea: There should be a "maybe" function when RSVP'g for an event.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Your only two choices for "Are you attending?" are Yes or No. How about adding in "Considering" or "Maybe"?  ·   · 
    RossRoss shared a merged idea: PLEASE bring back "maybe"!  ·   · 
    ValeryValery shared a merged idea: Add "Maybe" RSVP to Events so that you receive reminders and can add them to Calendars  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: You seriously need a "Maybe" answer to RSVPs.  ·   · 
    Gary FustinoGary Fustino shared a merged idea: Have a "MayBe" attending button.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Creat a Maybe button in RSVP  ·   · 
    LenaTumLenaTum shared a merged idea: Create a MAYBE button  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Add a maybe option for rsvp's  ·   · 
    AlAl shared a merged idea: Bring back "Maybe" RSVPs  ·   · 
    CraigCraig shared a merged idea: Re add the Maybe option but...  ·   · 
    SusanSusan shared a merged idea: bring back maybe  ·   · 
    trackertracker shared a merged idea: maybe  ·   · 
    Valerie Scanlin GreerValerie Scanlin Greer shared a merged idea: add a Maybe to the RSVPs.  ·   · 
    mad femme pridemad femme pride shared a merged idea: Seriously. Bring back MAYBE.  ·   · 
    Michael PetersMichael Peters shared a merged idea: Please bring back 'RSVP Maybe'  ·   · 
    LV WineLV Wine shared a merged idea: Really need "maybe" option returned to RSVP's  ·   · 
    sahm groupsahm group shared a merged idea: Please bring back the maybe RSVP  ·   · 
    ValVal shared a merged idea: Bring the "maybe" option back  ·   · 
    CaseyCasey shared a merged idea: Bring back the 'Maybe' RSVP!  ·   · 
    EdEd shared a merged idea: Bring back "Maybe", but with one MAJOR change:  ·   · 
    Chris >:-(Chris >:-( shared a merged idea: Return of the "MAYBE!"  ·   · 
    Larry KaganLarry Kagan shared a merged idea: Restore 'Maybe' option  ·   · 
    GillianGillian shared a merged idea: Maybe button should be returned  ·   · 
    RickRick shared a merged idea: Please bring back the "Maybe" RSVP  ·   · 
    DaveTheJackalDaveTheJackal shared a merged idea: Introduce a Maybe RSVP for the new meetup...  ·   · 
    rik Ebertrik Ebert shared a merged idea: Bring back the 'Maybe' RSVP option.  ·   · 
    Nic MyersNic Myers shared a merged idea: Add back the ability to RSVP 'maybe'  ·   · 
    Christine AshleyChristine Ashley shared a merged idea: Bring back the option of "Maybe" RSVP's... not all groups work the same.  ·   · 
    MarkMark shared a merged idea: Listen to your organizers and users - Bring back Maybe RSVPs!  ·   · 
    Dan SwiftDan Swift shared a merged idea: Allow organizers to decide if they want to allow "maybe" RSVPs.  ·   · 
    AlanAlan shared a merged idea: make "Maybe" RSVPs optional  ·   · 
    Jason K.Jason K. shared a merged idea: Restore the "Maybe" option  ·   · 
    TelosTelos shared a merged idea: Bring Maybe RSVP option back  ·   · 
    William FarrisWilliam Farris shared a merged idea: Give us back the "Maybe" option!!!  ·   · 

295 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an organizer of group of Expatriates, many who travel a lot due to their job they can't commit to events to far ahead of time so they don't even bother letting you know if the event interests them or not where the Maybe option shows that the event at least interests them. Plus if they RSVP's as Maybe they could still get an email with the event details to put it on their calendar. Otherwise they have nothing on their calendar at all. Plus so many people are on multiple meetups and may wait to see if something else pops up for that date.
        The more interaction we have with our members via RSVP the better it is for organizers.
        Numerous members of ours will RSVP yes or no on meetup if they know for sure but if they don't they will go to our facebook page and rsvp to the event as Maybe there.

• Kevin KroossKevin Krooss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was going to say the same thing. I'd just add that a MAYBE choice also sends the member all the same notifications as a YES. Sometimes I'd like to go to an event but I'm not sure if I can make it yet. Keeping "tabs" on an event is a natural way of doing things. When you force MAYBE's to choose you're only forcing people to select what ends up being an incorrect choice, and (at best) flipping at the last minute, or (at worse) a no-show. Which is one of the biggest problems with MeetUp.

MeetUp's biggest problem is self-created by not having a "Maybe" selection in the RSVP, which face it, is a natural condition of life for most people. Amusement has to take a back seat to other priorities.

I really sophisticated chunk of code would have a "Maybe" selection with an expiration date. Which the organizer could set and the member would get a deadline notification via email or text. "This is your last chance to join the XYZ event on MeetUP. The event is closing at 5PM."

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Meetup had it right: the organizer chose whether they allowed "Maybe" in their events. As an organizer, I was OK with Maybes. As a user, I also won't know if I can attend an event 2 months from now. The Maybe option is a must, especially when the organizers have the power to not use it if they don't want it. Why this feature not been reinstated is beyond me.

• Nic MyersNic Myers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Organizers should treat maybe at not coming, but having a maybe RSVP would be f'ing incredible again.. its been ages, and people simply stop RSVP'ing to events because if they aren't sure or they might be late, they would rather not RSVP than say yes or no....

• Gary BloomGary Bloom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, as mentioned in http://meetup.uservoice.com/forums/37079-ideas-and-suggestions-for-meetup/suggestions/1427801-bring-back-maybe-rsvp, having an "I'm interested" option (or more appropriately nowadays a "Follow" option) will allow people to not RSVP as a "Yes" just to get updates.
        I like the idea of combining (1) a group-level option for enabling "Maybe" RSVP by Organizers and (2) a "Follow" option for events of interest for members.

• Gary BloomGary Bloom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is NO GOOD REASON to not have an OPTIONAL "Maybe" RSVP.
        (1) The "Maybe" RSVP, in my group, is mission critical. Too many people RSVP as a "Yes" just so they can get event updates. This is Meetup's fault for removing the "Maybe" RSVP. I say let people RSVP as a "Yes" or "Maybe" according to their intent. Then we can assume that most of the "Yes" will show up, and maybe 10% of the "Maybe" will show up. Now we have no way to differentiate.
        (2) Each Organizer should have the option of enabling or disabling the "Maybe" RSVP for his group as he sees fit. That solves the problem for Organizers who don't want it. They can choose not to enable it.
        Simple solution. Please enable this ASAP.

• T.T. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No on this "maybe" suggestion! If your RSVP is "maybe", then don't RSVP until it's a "yes". Have enough problems with last minute changes and no-shows as it is, a "maybe" option would just legitimate such behavior.

• JamieJamie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incredibly bad idea. Having a 'maybe' option will just give members an excuse not to commit to going to an event. What's the point of having an option that is half way between yes or no?!? Either you can go, or you can't go, it's simple. If you put yourself down as going, and then don't show up, expect to hear from the Organiser. It couldn't be any less confusing. As an Organiser, I would personally prefer people to wait until they can give a definite yes or no, rather than put in a maybe. Organisers often have to book seats in a venue (such as a restuarant), and having a bunch of maybe RSVPs on an event does not help. Meetup HQ, I implore you to decline this request.

• PamPam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I liked the Maybe option. Right now, I get very few Yes responses for the group I Organize. And for the other 2 group of which I am a member, I would occasionally do a Maybe but then put a reminder on my Calendar to go back and make sure I am able to attend/not attend and change my RSVP. But, that's just me. :0)

• Tom CappyTom Cappy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally I'm glad its gone. I run a "food and drink" meetup. Venues often bring in help for us. I get deals based on how many are going to be there. I need to have a pretty good idea.

"Maybe" may as well be "what's your prerogitive?"

• Steven GauckSteven Gauck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When Meetup first rolled out the removal of the Maybe RSVP option, it claimed that it was intended to reduce the number of no-shows ("You're either in or you're out!" as they put it). That immediately struck me as counterintuitive and suspected that no-shows would go through the roof.

Indeed, that has precisely been the experience following the removal of Maybes. Previously, while most Maybes still remaining just before the event expectantly no-showed, we had a pretty good attendance record among the Yes RSVPs. Now a good 10-20% our Yes RSVPs no show. Those people often comment on the event page that they might have something come up, but it's not easy to weed through all the comments to figure out how many people have qualified the probability of their attendance.

In its announcement, Meetup said it had looked at the data on no-shows. I'd really like to know how the current no-show rate compares to the pre-Maybe removal no-show rate. If my own meetup group's experience is any measure, I bet you it has increased no less than 400%.

Meetup HQs - what does your data analysis of RSVPs tell you?

• susansusan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is subjective as to what kind of meetup you run - personally on our meetups I hate maybes - does no good - why can't our wonderful techs figure out a way the organizers can decide to turn on or off the maybe buttons - is that beyond their technical skills?

• jitterbugjitterbug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A "Maybe" button would be a nightmare in my opinion. RSVP's are simple. Either you can or you can't.

• DebiDebi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes you're not sure until the day of the meetup ... or just before walking out the door. It might be, I'm waiting for someone to call me, because I don't have a ride otherwise. That ride falls through and you said yes, you look like an idiot if you forget to change your RSVP. With a Maybe, at least the organizers know they may have X many extras.

• Doreen CharbonneauDoreen Charbonneau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since the maybe option has been removed the number of no shows has sky rocketed and difficulty of managing large but limited events is becoming so ridiculous. People rsvp yes cause they want a space and to get reminders, etc. But they rsvp yes to all events that interest them and feel no obligation to keep their rsvps up to date. Since we are dealing with a third party. A restaurant, theater, lecture hall, etc... it makes them reluctant to give us a reservation because we appear flakey and can not give them a firm number. Please, please, please bring this option back.

• N FordN Ford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is now the 5th most populate topic - come on guys, please add more votes to this if you have any spare. Let's get it to the top so meetup have to respond! :)

• N FordN Ford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

275 comments and 500 votes - how do we get meetup to respond to this? As mentioned previously, it is very rude of Meetup to have closed this without any explanation as to why. I am a meetup owner, I pay over £100 a year to use meetup and yet they don't listen to us! MEETUP - HOW DO WE GET HEARD???!!!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base