Describe the missing feature that would help you make the most of Meetup

Add the option to make RSVP questions mandatory

Some events really do need answers on the RSVP questions. Some users habitually skip or ignore the need to provide info. I'd like to see a mechanism that invalidates any RSVP's that are blank or incomplete. User can receive a message blocking them from submitting blank/incomplete entries.

146 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Asking Questions when RSVPing must have an mandatory option. Members are not answering all questions and not getting important info.  ·   · 
    NeneNene shared a merged idea: create an option which allows organizers to "force" people to answer the questions when they RSVP.  ·   · 
    Shannon KuykendallShannon Kuykendall shared a merged idea: In the - Ask questions when members RSVP section, please make an option that requires them to answer the questions.  ·   · 
    Rebecca JohnsonRebecca Johnson shared a merged idea: Add the option to make event questions required for members who RSVP yes  ·   · 
    xx shared a merged idea: RSVP questions & answers  ·   · 
    Sophia L.Sophia L. shared a merged idea: Make members answer the RSVP question in order to proceed. "NEVER MIND" defeats the purpose of the Q  ·   · 
    diyanatdiyanat shared a merged idea: questions  ·   · 
    Joseph Van ZwarenJoseph Van Zwaren shared a merged idea: The organizer should be able to decide if the comment in the RVSP is obligatory  ·   · 

31 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • andyandy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

seems that if it's important to the organizers then it's important to make it happen

• Gail BerremanGail Berreman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the option to make RSVP comments mandatory. Sometimes the organizers need input from members so the organizers know the members understand the details and have the appropriate passes/tickets.

• ThomasThomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a member of a popular photography group and I would like you to value our organizers by giving them the tools they need rather than making their jobs harder.

• andyandy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to get the name/phone number of people signing up for the meetups. However, Have found that a number of people just click-through answering the question. Please make a way that this is a mandatory field.

• fairhsafairhsa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One problem I have come up against is that users who RSPV from a mobile device don't even appear to SEE the questions, so can't really be blamed for not answering them. This is clearly a big flaw in the mobile apps that needs fixing. Not sure if that is a separate request or not. We use the questions to confirm disclaimers and ask about hiking experience - which is essential. Anyone who does not answer is booted off the hike.

• Steven CSteven C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seeing how this idea is more than two years old. It seems like nothing is being done. It never even made it to "under consideration".

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like RSVP questions mandatory. We prepare our meetup based on those who will be attending and their issues. We need to have their issues before the meeting so we know how to prepare properly.

• silksilk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the point of asking questions if people aren't going to answer them. I guess meetup is oblivious to how you have to make people do things, they are completely unreliable and inconsiderate otherwise.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wouldlike the freedom to require someone who is RSVPing Yes a simple Yes/ No question that is mandatory to answer. Can we at least get that?
        Malcolm
        310 821-3081

• K.F.K.F. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be extremely advantageous especially in Bob's situation... there are liability issues at stake. For instance, what is he supposed to do if people show up and won't sign the waiver... handcuff them to a railing at the trailhead to make sure they don't follow?

Lynn, thank you for the clarification on Raven's comment... Raven, Lynn is correct. We had a Chef's Table event, $85 per person prix fixe menu, optional wine pairings available for purchase. In the case of No Shows, $20 was non-refundable and would be thrown in as extra gratuity (what the wait staff should have made without the No Show). 100% of the money collected went directly to the restaurant.

• LynnLynn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Correction, mobile apps can, as of recently, display the questions when members RSVP.

I am so glad I am seeing this being posted. I have been scratching my head trying to see how to many the questions mandatory. I use the questions to emphasis what people usually just skim through in the invite, so it is important that they at least read the "highlights." Please have this fixed. :(

And, I have also learned from the forum that the questions don't show up at all when members RSVP using the mobile app. That needs to be corrected also. Hopefully knowing this will rectify some of your anguish that your members (not all of them) ignore the questions intentionally.

Raven: the problem you raised do not exist as an organizer/assistant organizer can choose to NOT ask any questions when RSVP or when a member join a group. If you see those questions, that's because the org/AO chose to ask them, for whatever reasons.

Just because KF charges for his event doesn't make him a corporation. Some events cost money, Meetup has the feature for the event org to charge a fee, either to cover the cost of the event, the cost of hosting a meetup group, or generally to deter no shows. That is perfectly acceptable.

• RobbRobb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's rare that I need to ask questions. But when I do, I need answers! Sometimes it's mobile phone numbers (in case of last minute changes). Sometimes its getting people to clarify their eligibility for restricted events. So I need the option to make answering questions mandatory (or for them to be mandatory all the time).

And as Steven says, the Show Answers page needs to show members that haven't answered too.

• RavenRaven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bob, you do not need a "question" for this, it can be signed at the event.

K.F., You should be kicked off Meetup (at least as an organizer) and have all your groups shut down, since advertisements for corporations are not allowed.

• RavenRaven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3 Votes for "DO NOT DO THIS!!". There is already a problem with too many retarded things being "Mandatory," such as a payment before you can RSVP "No," and "Profile questions" that are impossible to answer being that they are not direct questions and or impossible to understand. We do NOT need another such problem!!

• Jay LiboveJay Libove commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Despite my stating in email announcements, and in follow-up emails, that the questions are mandatory, a surprising number of respondants never answer the questions.
        We MUST be able to mark the questions as MANDATORY, **so that an RSVP is NOT submitted until the questions are answered**.
        We SHOULD be able to make some selections to allow the MeetUp system to automatically vet that the answers are approximately satisfactory (e.g. field types such as phone number - watch out for international formats, please!; minimum lengths).
        I work hard as an organizer. I don't charge. And the poor manners of many members plus the current inability in the Meetup system to force proper behavior is a real pain in the *ss.

• Steven CSteven C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At minimum the "Show User Answers" page should allow the organizer/host to boot members to "No" status who are in the Yes or Waitlist who have NOT answered the questions.

While making answers mandatory is an important start, I don't see anyway that a tool could validate those answers. One big help would be to allow a pick list for answers. Will you be carpooling [yes|no]? Will you meet us at [The Carpool|Coffee Shop|Trail Head]?

[I have read and agree to waive liability|I do not agree to waive liability|I am clueless]
        I [have|do not have] a park pass.

As it is we get strange answers to simple questions so merely having an answer is insufficient.

• LewLew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES!!! Answered should be required just as they are in profile. Please fix this. We use it for acknowledgement that they've read the waiver. An electronic signature of sorts.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base