Describe the missing feature that would help you make the most of Meetup

Create an option of turning "Talk about this meetup" automatic notification email off!

As for the new "Talk about this meetup" feature; I can tell you that I cannot stand another day of this new automatic emailing function allowing spammers sending out destructive, negative emails to my group. I do mean this literally; I spent this entire morning alone getting rid of 5 spammers, I still am checking the site every few minutes! x

I've spent a lot of work creating these groups over the last 8 years, whos membership are in their thousands and I'm not prepared to abandon my groups
to any Tom, Dick and Harry online that wants to wreak what I have built. This is an entirely new problem, one created by meetup.com out of the blue. There is no way I could have foreseen this.

This is a new emailing feature, and my 8 year old meetup groups were not grown under these circumstances. It's not right for meetup to suddenly create this new problem for us after having put so much work into building these groups and in creating so many real world events. (as I'm certain you ALL have!)

The automatic feature solves no problems and only serves the purpose of pissing off all our normal members who are getting bombarded with advertisements and false information about events. People are quitting in droves. I don't expect my groups to last longer than a few weeks at this rate~ this is very serious.

This new meetup comments feature does not help promote democracy nor promote the meetup events themselves but undermines constructive building of meetup groups. The foot traffic of thousands of people at my meetups and online (all voluntary) shows real democracy in action, not granting every two bit the ability to harass and advertise all members and chase all the normal people away.

Please do what you can about forward this concern to people who can make this change of creating an option of turning 'talk about this meetup' automatic notification e-mails off. It really is driving me up the wall on an hourly basis.

Thanks for listening! Please vote for this feature! The more options for organisers the better the meetups!

60 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Wilber WebbWilber Webb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    EugeneEugene shared a merged idea: Be able to turn off comment notifications for a specific Meetup event  ·   · 
    declined  ·  Greg WhalinGreg Whalin responded  · 

This feature is used by many groups to coordinate amongst attendees.

- currently any member can opt out of these emails per group
    - the recipient list is only to people communicating in that page or RSVPed to the Meetup

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ChadChad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd really love an option to disable this. 90% of the time it's a feature I like. But other times it gets abused. Last night I had two members using the meetup comments as a back and forth email exchange for flirting, for several hours, with 30+ people listening in. As an organizer I was unable to stop it or prevent my members from getting a bunch of idiotic emails. Not cool.

• Wilber WebbWilber Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Meetup is Meetup. Not a "Cheap ass" Twitter, which from appearances this feature seeks to mock.

Meetup is not Facebook, nor Twitter or anything else. It has it's own strengths.

Your new feature destroys social cohesion of groups, not enhances it. It should be removed immediately.

Listen to your members. The future developments of Meetup will arise out of it's uses not "ingenious" random improvements. These "Improvements" often feel like desperate attempts at monetization, or someone trying to hang onto their job. Was a flashy consultant hired?; Meetup organisers ask~What other purpose could they be?

That is genuine and actual Democracy, not allowing/creating "Spam mail" features. Intuing yourself to the flow of meetup via how your members, especially your organisers use it will inform you of how (if) meetup grows in the future.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It appears that the "vote" for this idea has been disabled. Would someone please take the same amount of time to allow organizers the option to disable the "talk about this meetup" feature for scheduled events? It is much easier for the organizer to do a one time disabling of this feature than it is to notify each and every member to change their settings.

• reneerenee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this feature is beyond annoying. please turn it off or allow us the choice to do so.

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, and I hope that Meetup will allow organizers the choice to manage this wisely by offering the option to turn it off when needed.

• Tom Steemson - LPMGTom Steemson - LPMG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hadn't realised that the e-mails that I was getting, as group organiser, when someone posted a note in this section where being posted to all the membership. That's absolutely INSANE!

I have a problem with the group and that's communication. Communicating itself is not a problem, the problem is that the Meetup site generates such a large amount of e-mail that a great many members simply set their SPAM filters on to hive off anything that comes out of the Meetup site. That fixes the perceived problem, but it does meen that legitimate posts from the organisers get lost in the chaff.

This feature should never have been set up in the first place. I've got no problem with people typing their comments on the website, but posting these missives to the whole group is massively destructive. Even if every single post out is sweetness and light, positive and enthusiastic, it's going to piss everyone off if their getting flooded with unsolicited traffic. SWITCH IT OFF, or at the very least give the Organisers the option to do so as they choose.

• Wilber WebbWilber Webb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature has so far been a paradise for spammers and negative people
        who do not even properly participate in our real world events we run,
        while preventing those who have legitimate questions on the events from
        posting out of shyness.

There should be an option, set by the organiser, to allow members to comment on meetups before and after without fear of having thier views blasted to every person, even to those who did not attend or are not interested.

Feedback and Knowledge Base